What is Cold Laser Therapy?
Cold laser or Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) entails the application of laser light, instead of traditional acupuncture needles, to influence the flow of current at the acupuncture points. It is also used directly over lesions, burns, injuries and other disorders in order to stimulate healing at the damaged site. Often the preferred treatment for painful conditions, LLLT treats conditions as diverse as tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis of the knee and chronic headache in children. As an alternative to needle-phobic patients, it has been shown that LLLT causes an almost equal response as regular acupuncture done with needles. My personal experience remains that acupuncture is a more widely usable treatment modality than cold laser. that said:
☛Double bind studies have shown that acupuncture and cold laser had virtually the same effects on brain pattern activity.
- Pain Reduction
- Laser acupuncture has proven to be highly effective in releasing myofascial pain syndrome and stimulating increased levels of endorphins, the body’s natural painkillers.
- Reducing Inflammation
- Following an acute injury, the body initiates a tissue repair process. Laser therapy reduces inflammation, bruising and pain while the body repairs itself. It also reduces inflammatory enzymes often seen in diseases such as Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Accelerating Tissue Repair
- Laser acupuncture has been shown to accelerate the production of ATP, the chemical energy engine for the cell that speeds up its overall activity. This creates an increased rate of repair in cells responsible for repairing tissue, including bone, ligament, muscle, skin and nerves.
- Burns and cuts
- Back, neck and shoulder pain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Chronic Fatigue
- Knee and elbow pain
- Smoking, and food addictions
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Myofascial Pain