Acupuncture Treats Male Infertility
This being a complex topic, I’ll cover it over several blog posts, so please bear with. At Blue Phoenix we approach the issue with supplements, acupuncture, herbs, diet and creative visualization/self-hypnosis.
Long thought to be solely a ‘female issue’, up to 40% of difficulties in conception can be traced to fertility issues in the male. This can have a negative impact on natural conception, as well as with IVF and ART. Western pathologies that may cause abnormal semen and affect fertility are: Testicular factors, infection; Varicocele; blockage of ejaculatory ducts; Autommunity; motility; morphology; Liquefaction; count and volume.
Acupuncture is very helpful in significantly decreasing many of these problem areas, thereby raising the chances of the couple to conceive. The process of sperm maturation averages 70-90 days. It is, therefore, beneficial that the male receive acupuncture for at least three months prior to starting the IVF procedure. With the help of Chinese medicine, it is possible to improve the quality and quantity of sperm and improve the overall quality of the semen. This, in turn, increases the chances of creating a healthy and viable embryo, while supporting a more secure implantation. We will discuss what is and is not good for sperm production. In this post: What sperm don’t like.
Here’s a partial list of What Sperm Don’t Like:
- Heat or Heat or pressure to the scrotum
- Caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, marijuana
- Environmental toxins
- Over the counter medications
- Laptops, cell phones at the waist
- Saliva, most vaginal lubricants (pre-seed OK)
- Estrogens found in plasticizers (BPA & BPB), water, hormonally treated animal products
Male Infertility—Medications & Low Sperm Count (a partial list):
- •Asthma medications- prednisone/ cortisone
- •Antihistamines – can dry up seminal fluids
- SSRI’s (Prozac, etc.)
- NSAIDS – can impact liver’s ability to metabolize hormones
- Rogaine, hair growth products
- Cytotoxic drugs – cyclophosphamide, methotrexate,
- Ulcer medication – cimetidine
- Diuretics – spironolactone
- Gout medication – colchicine
- Colitis medication – sulfasalzine
- Antihypertensives – ACE inhibitors, diltiazem,
- Urinary antiseptics – nitrofurantoin
- Radiation – X-rays, cell phone worn at the waist, laptops used on the lap
Next: What Sperm Do Like.