Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or IBS, is s common, yet highly disruptive digestive complaint. If you suffer with IBS symptoms may include abdominal distention, pain, cramping and bloating gas. There is often diarrhea/painful constipation or both alternating. You experience other very uncomfortable gastrointestinal symptoms. It’s often the case that a person with IBS feels worse with physical or emotional stress, or around the menstrual period. IBS related depression is also quite prevalent.
Standard medicine views IBS as a ‘functional disorder’ which essentially means they can find no observable physical problem in the digestive system. It also has been described as a form of ‘miscommunication’ between the brain, peripheral nervous system, and digestive organs. Studies have shown that both hypnosis and acupuncture is have relatively high success rates in the treatment of IBS–even those with long-standing symptoms.
People with IBS who receive acupuncture and/or hypnotherapy often report other improvements including lowered Anxiety, sleep issues, fatigue, headaches and menstrual pain.
Facts on Irritable Bowel Syndrome
• It is also known as spastic colon, colitis, nervous stomach, etc.
• IBS affects 15-20 % of the population
• IBS is present in one of of three women
• IBS is present if 40% of Fibromyalgia patients
• IBS is the second most common cited reason for missed work days
• IBS only responds to conventional treatments 25% of the time
• IBS responds 94% of the time to hypnotherapy
Listen to my guided visualization for IBDS. Many people tell me it helps ease their symptoms. Contact us